Last Updated on November 30, 2022 by admin
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Like most parents, I’m partial to wooden toys when possible, just because of their aesthetics and their durability.
HABA is a German brand that specializes in quality wooden toys and games.
For comparison, I got one of those knock-the-ball-out-of-the-hole-with-a-mallet toys from HABA and another from Melissa and Doug when my oldest was a baby. By the time my kid had outgrown the toys, the Melissa and Doug one was literally falling apart and the paint on the balls was all chipping off, and the HABA one looked practically new.
This particular HABA toy caught eye as a great gift for 2-year-olds for several reasons:
- It’s aesthetically pleasing, with beautiful colors and a streamlined design
- It’s easy for parents to store because it’s stackable and the packaging is minimal (this is something I’ve really come to appreciate over the years)
- As a puzzle, this toy is simple and flexible and satisfies toddlers’ desire to place things inside their correct receptacles
- In addition to making circles/pies with the wooden pieces, toddlers can use choke-hazard-free wooden pieces to create their own patterns outside of the pie shape
- It start to introduce fun geometric and spacial concepts that can even be used in a more formal way later on (for example, “there are eight pieces that make up one circle, so we call them eighths”)
I didn’t find this cool toy in time for my own kids’ toddlerhood, but I buy one for my 2-year-old nephew, and was able to watch him enjoy it on his birthday, so I have a little bit of experience with it.